SUMMARY ABOUT ME
L ewis Chisanga Gabriel Mosho was born in Mpika in the Chiundaponde village of Chief Chiundaponde of now Muchinga Province of the Republic of Zambia from a Bisa father of Mpika and a Bemba mother of Chinsali. His father is a retired Clinical Officer. His mother is deceased.
Lewis Mosho went to school in the rural Muchinga Province at Mpika Boys Secondary School and completed at Kenneth Kaunda Secondary School in Chinsali. He was one of the best students in Grade 12 and was selected to go to University of Zambia under a bursary sponsorship where took up and completed his Bachelors Laws Degree (LLB) in 1994 and was admitted to the Bar as an Attorney/Barrister /Solicitor on 20 December 1995. While pursuing his degree in law he was one of the law students who received awards for being the best student such as the Chitalu Sampa Mwanakatwe Prize for being the best law student in the School of Law. He is pursuing his Master of Laws Degree and is currently publishing a book on ‘Securities Law and Practice’ scheduled to be launched before 2020.
Lewis Mosho is an accomplished legal practitioner and businessman. He is former board member and former acting chairman of the Lusaka Stock Exchange, current director of Florida Agro Services Ltd, current director of the Zambia South Africa Business Council based at the Zambia High Commission in Pretoria, and he is non executive director at Lusaka Girls Secondary School. Lewis Mosho professional profile summary is here
Lewis Mosho started his career as a legal practitioner on 20 December 1995 with Shamwana and Company having been trained by Edward Jack Shamwana SC, A. Shonga SC, Steve Lungu SC and Mutembo Nchito SC. He left Shamwana and Company and joined as Legal Officer at the Zambia Investment Centre at a time when Zambia was moving to free market economy and was changing its laws to accommodate and promote foreign direct investment for the first time. At that time ZIC was headed by the now Bank of Zambia Deputy Governor (Operations) Dr Bwalya Ng’andu as Director General and assisted by 5 directors who included the current Finance Minister Mrs. Margaret Mwanakatwe. While at Zambia Investment Centre Lewis Mosho proposed several law reform effort to enhance and attract foreign direct investment which included the introduction of fiscal and other incentives to investors registered with ZIC. His reform effort awarded him a promotion within 5 months of joining the ZIC as Legal Services Manager.
In 1997 Lewis Mosho joined the Lusaka Stock Exchange (LuSE) as the first Legal Counsel and Company Secretary where he was involved in completing the setting up the Zambia’s sole securities or stock market including promulgation of laws and rules for the raising of finance by business entities including governments and for portfolio investment on that market. While at LuSE Mr Mosho attended several work visits worldwide including New York Stock Exchange, Securities Exchange Commission in Washington USA, American Depository Company in New York, Bond Exchange of South Africa Johannesburg, JSE Securities Exchange in Johannesburg, Nairobi Stock Exchange, Stock Exchange of Mauritius, Philadelphia Depository Company in Philadelphia USA etc. He presented several papers
While working at the Lusaka Stock Exchange Lewis Mosho presented papers worldwide on financial market law reform effort and integration of money markets with capital markets.
In 2002 Lewis Mosho set up a law firm with his former law school class mates trading as Lewis Nathan Advocates. He is now the Managing Partner of the firm and heads the Commercial Law and Financial Markets Division specialising in commercial and financial markets transactions including Insolvency law. While at Lewis Nathan Advocates Lewis Mosho has been legal advisor to most of the stock market financial intermediation and capital market transactions with a value of over K1.3trillion including structural reform projects.
Lots of this going around today 😂 twitter.com/paulshalalaznb…
Years at the Bar
(Born 17.7.70), Zambian
years of experience
Value as Prime Legal Advisorview deals
SOME OF MY WORKS
Relevant Specialised Considerations
- First Legal Counsel for Lusaka Stock Exchange (LuSE)
- Former Board Member of the LuSE Board of Directors
- Expert advisory on securities markets in Zambia
- Lead legal advisor to LuSE on the promulgation of the current LuSE market regulations and framework
- Lead legal advisor to LuSE on the promulgation of the current LuSE Listing Rules & harmonised with SADC
- Prime contributor to the new Securities Act
- Lead advisor on promulgation of Corporate Governance Code for listed companies in Zambia
- Lead advisor to the LuSE and Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) on stock market restructuring & restructured the LuSE market and participation models for the first time (demutualisation); the LuSE is now a public company and will list on its own market
- Legal advisor to most of all stock exchange listings on the LuSE and capital raising exercises
- Lead advisory on intermediation of K1.3 trillion using the LuSE from investors to industry, employment creation, enhanced government taxes etc
- Work Attachments and visits to New York Stock Exchange, Philadelphia Depository Company, American Depository Company, USA Securities Exchange Commission, Nairobi Stock Exchange, JSE Securities Exchange (Bond Exchange of South Africa)
- Currently publishing a book on specialised law – ‘Mosho on Securities Law & Practice’; soon to be on launched
Some Papers Presented
- “Financial Services Supervision: Single Versus Multiple Regulation in Zambia” Discussant paper presented to Bank of Zambia 40th Anniversary, Pamodzi Hotel, 2004.
- “Legal and Structural Issues and Options in establishing a Gemstone Exchange in Zambia” presented to the Gemstone Workshop organised by the Ministry of Mines, Savoy Hotel, Ndola, Zambia; on invitation by the Ministry of Mines
- “Regulating Money Laundering Activities in Emerging Economies –Capital vs Financial Markets” presented to the Committee of SADC Stock Exchanges, Johannesburg, South Africa, 6th June 2002.
- ‘The Anti-Money Laundering Act, Effect and Effectiveness in the Financial Market’’ presented to the Institute for Southern Africa Development Training Workshop on the Detection and Control of Money Laundering in Zambia, 13-14th May 2002, Lusaka, Zambia.
- “Financial Market Regulatory Overlaps & Conflicts –The Zambian Case” presented to the Zambia Financial Market Restructuring Forum, 29th June 2001, Lusaka.
- “The Law Reform Process in Zambia” presented to the Zambia Union of Financial and Allied Workers Seminar, 3rd- 6th October, 2000; Kafue Gorge, Lusaka, Zambia.
- “Corporate Governance Development in Emerging Economies -The Approach” presented as a panelist to the Commonwealth Association on Corporate Governance Annual Conference, 31 October -2nd November, 2000, Nairobi, Kenya
- ” Zambia Payment System and the Central Securities Depository- The Interface” presented to the 3rd quarter meeting of the SADC Committee of Stock Exchanges, 24th-25th August, 2000, Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia.
- “Company Floatation and the Listing Rules of the Lusaka Stock Exchange” presented to the Floatation Workshop held on 12th May, 2000, Lilayi Lodge, Lusaka, Zambia.
- “The Zambia’s Securities Market” presented to the United States Securities & Exchange Commission’s Tenth Annual International Institute for Securities Market Development held on 3rd – 14th April 2000, Washington DC, USA.
- “Legal Framework for the Zambia’s Securities Market” presented to Brown Brothers Client Symposium held on 19th April 2000, Boston, USA
- “Legal Framework for the Securities Clearing & Settlement System and the Interface with the National Payment System in Zambia- A Proposal”, presented to Bank of Zambia consultative meeting held on 16th September 1999, in the Bank of Zambia Board room, Lusaka, Zambia
- “Harmonisation of Stock Exchange Listing Rules in the SADC”, presented to a Public Debate Workshop on Harmonisation of Systems in the SADC Region held on 20th & 21st May, 1999; at Pamodzi Hotel; Lusaka, Zambia, sponsored by SIDA
Prime Legal Advisor
- Maamba Colliers Limited USD800m loan syndication -2015 for the 300MW Maamba Coal Power Project.
- Lunsemfwa Hydro Power Project –the 1st Corporate Bond on the stock exchange to refinance ESKOM interests in the company (2003)
- Barclays Bank K550billion Corporate Bond (2006/7)
- Development Bank of Zambia K150billion Bond (2007)
- Bayport K200billion Corporate Bond
- Investrust Bank K100billion Bond
- Airtel Zambia K820billion loan syndication
- Lafarge Cement PLC K200billion Bond
- ZANACO USD28million capital raise listing
- ZCCM-IH & GRZ Sale down 2015
- AEL listing
- MTN Zambia listing (2014)
- Transformation of the Lusaka Stock Exchange, 2015
- New Lusaka Stock Exchange listing Rules- 2013
- Bank of Zambia Financial Markets Development Programme legal advisor
- Lusaka Stock Exchange Corporate Governance Code
Places of Employment
- Snr Partner & Head of Financial Markets & Insolvency Law Division, Lewis Nathan Advocates, Lusaka, Zambia
- Company Secretary & Legal Counsel, Lusaka Stock Exchange Ltd.
- Legal Services Manager, Zambia Investment Centre (now ZDA), Lusaka, Zambia
- Advocate (i.e., Solicitor/Barrister); at Messrs Nkwazi Chambers, Lusaka, Zambia
- Learner Legal Practitioner on attachment to Shamwana & Company, Lusaka, Zambia.
SEND A MESSAGE